Sunday, July 8, 2007

Sock It to Me contest #1 or When I started Knitting



I am a self taught knitter, started about 4 years ago. I already knew how to crochet and was an avid maker of baby blankets, afghans and one sweater. I had received from my MIL(at my request)skeins of Irish wool from her and my DFIL, from their trip to Ireland that year. I had crocheted a sweater from the first offerings and kinda liked, but was not what I envisioned.



I knew knitting would give me what I wanted. So, I bought one of those Teach yourslef to learn Knitting kits from WalMart I think...hmmm, with a book, 2 pairs of aluminum needles and misc starter items. From there it was the obligatory scarves, mainly from fun fur and various other bulky fluffy yarns, but a lot fun fur. These were widely distributed through the Christmas season.

Then it was Harry Potter season again that fall and I thought wouldnt the kids love a house scarf for Christmas. (side note they live in So Cal) So I went out and purchased skeins of Red heart in the colors for Gryffindor and Slytherin and found a pattern on the 'net and round and round I went for several weeks. The kids loved them. Have a pic of the Gryffindor, Slytherin is AWOL -

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I don't know your email so this is the only way I have to reply to you but I am dying to know what HP yarns you got? I got Gryffindor and Slytherin plus one of those Moonlight Knitter bracelets that count your rows. We have found a few house that are well below are price range and are still nice. i am really pulling for this move.

Lisa said...

Kids are wonderful people to give first time FO's to. They are so happy to receive something that you made especially for them. Thansk for sharing!