Monday, December 24, 2007
I am having a knitting crash tonight. I really want to work on my Cozy or the socks. Lots of gorgeous yarn waiting to be cast on. But the urge isn't there. hopefully after a break tomorrow i will be back in the mood. The pressure of even planned holiday knitting is still a lot of pressure. Is it right, did it block out, will anyone notice that weird looking stitch but me or should I rip out the entire thing??? (Actually did that 3 times each on two of the projects...) Will they like it. New to the holiday knit gift giving as a primary gift, really nervous too. ahh well....
Off to put the gifts under the tree, make sure Santa gets his chocolate chip cookies and milk and be forgiven because I forgot the carrots for the reindeer. Think they would like chocolate chip or snickerdoodles instead????
To all my friends out there IRL and in blogging land, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, a inspirational Solstice, had a joyful Diwali, Happy Hannukah, joyous Kwanza(running out of adverbs here) hope you had/have a wonderful day!!!
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
this is a dual update and contest posting for SITM Twice.
After my protestations that I was not going to sign up for any swaps this season, I did with Sock it to Me Twice, the kicker and why I did sign up is I have until March to accomplish the major parts, like knitting a pair of socks!!
The Holidays are upon us with a vengence. 6 days to go!! My Holiday knitting is actually almost done. I think. Pics and details on blog after the holidays, though Ravelry will be updated this week most likely. A few ends to weave in on the last official project and it should be. Now the problem is I keep thinking, well I still have to get something for so and so, maybe I should knit something up real quick. Then I go delve into my stash find the miscelaneous skein of whatever and bring it into the house and there it sits on my desk in a forlorn manner waiting for me to cast on for something quick easy and gorgeous, that would be perfectly appropriate for the recepient. Guess how many skeins are arrayed on my desk...... Well other than pets none, I did finally give up on the idea that I would cast on any of the 8 skeins that had previously populated my "Maybe I could" pile. Actually 2/2 skeins of pink and variegated novelty are back on my desk for a quick hat and scarf set for a younger cousin, maybe. Anyone else ever go through this???
But onward. We have had the obligatory first snowfall, pics are pending, received a couple of inches of snow and an inch or so of ice about 2 weeks ago. Last storm brought ice and rain. Looks like it will be a cold and snowless Christmas this year, ahh well, you never know til the day arrives, I can hope.
James and Jessica will be out for a week the day after Christmas. Can't wait to see them. They have reported passing grades for the sememster, YEAH!!
Joey has decided that when he plays, he "Can't Mommy, I am busy" while playing and that is just when I check up on him, you know when they get real quiet and you start to wonder what they are up to, quiet. 3 months shy of 3years and such a stinker. again pics pending. Up to 3-4T now, growing so fast. Teary moment - I so miss that teeny baby stage, when I held him, cuddled and sleeping on my chest for naps, all curled up and warm. We co-sleeped with him until he started to roll around and kick to much, only so much room on a queen size, ya know. But those first 2-3 months such cuddles. Then the rocking to sleep in his room, holding him in my lap while I read stories and he looked at the pics, Goodnight moon, Runaway bunny, Pajama Time. Sometimes 2 or 3 rounds each. Now, he wants to hold the books and sit in his bed to read his truck books and rarely do I get the privlidge of cuddles and books. Ahh well the time goes fast and I will take what I get, he's health and happy and such a little boy.
The tree is up and decorated. Joey is getting a big kick out of 'ismas, as he likes to say. Andy put the lights up outside this year, just for Joey, as he loves the lights on everyone elses house. Next year will be some preplanning and will probably do more than just the gutters.
Ahhh, the fireplace is finished, and fires have been going almost every weekend and occasionally on a weekday and with the decorations and tree up it looks great!!!. Andy did a excellent job with the tile and trim and accents the bookshelves wonderfully.
1 more quick trip and the holiday shopping will be done for me at least.
I have just realized it has been a long and not to much to report month for me. Work putters along with its ups and downs.
Knitting goes on, wonderful additions to the stash from Wollmeise, highly reccomend their yarn, the colors are so rich and beautiful!! Ravelrs can find it in my stash, Very generous sock skeins as well, 575 yards, shipping from Germany really wasnt that bad either, price was decent and only took 2 weeks. Also Club shipments from WoolGirl, Highly reccomend signing up for the 2008 Sock Club and/or for 7 Deadly S(p)ins, if you haven't already. Jen's taste are impeccable to date and these promise to be trully wonderful offerings.
I will admit I am a little (just a little, lol) behind on my own knitting, but I have finished another hat for Andy, have almost 6" done on my Cozy shawl(I love the Ultra Alpaca from Berrecco!!) and I keep trying to magic link and it's not working!!! and only 3 active socks OTN! We won't count the inactives yet, shhhh, they're sleeping....
Other Knitting stuff, ahh my dearest daughter Jessica, is firmly and officially interested in knitting. Her first major project over the summer, a prayer shawl using.... Homespun. She enjoyed it and survived it, without any major trauma and is looking to do a hat over the Holidays!!
Have officially used my Harmony dpns and love them. They have the slick feel of the nickel and the lightness of wood, though the are grabbier than the nickel, but not as grabby as bamboo. And Options, ohhh, much better IMO than Addie's. though I will admit I haven't tried any lace project with them, so that opinion is still in progress. I did have a small crisis with a cord pulling out and Knitpicks Customer Service was excellent, no questions asked, just confirmed who I was, which size, and had the replacement in a week. Cool huh!
That about covers it, I have rambled on enough. I will try to post up pics this weekend.
Happy Winter Holidays to all!!!
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Other than having a vicious cold, that has killed my voice(probably have a good phone career for a couple of days, lol), Joey started the cold cycle and is doing better though still off just a tad, Andy's still hacking away, think if he isn't better by Wed, drag him to work for a CXR and antibiotics.
We woke up to snow on Monday. Big, white, fluffy flakes. If it had been a little colder, probably would have stuck. Ahhh well, turned to rain by afternoon. It was pretty though. Anybody else love the way snow looks while you are driving, the tunnel flying at you thing, I think it's neat anyway.
Getting ready for Thanksgiving. I will be baking an apple pie and a pumpkin custard thing(have to go to Rachel Ray's website for this recipe) that the Dear MIL has requested.
Looking at the Black Friday ads to see if there will be anything on the XMas lists for a good price. I will NOT be getting up at 2am again. Did it last year and not happening this year, unless it is free and I have to have it can't live without at, the world will end if it is not in the house, etc... so yeah...
Had a wonderful delivery yesterday.... what was it you ask.... Yarn Pirate!!! in BFL(blue faced leichester) Never touched BFL before.... ohhh boy, I pulled a L&V when I touched it. Yeap I squeed, LOL!!!! and the colorway is gorgeous, Georgia really did a wonderful dye job. Wound it up then and there and I have a new pet for my desk until I decide what pattern. Thinking maybe a shawlette or scarf.
Will be going to a book signing for Mary Beth Temple - Secret Language of Knitters on Dec 2 in Montclair. I met her at the Ravelry brunch at Stix-n-Stitches early this month, wonderful lady, book promises to be a great read!!
Finished 2 projects this week, the stockinette hat for Andy(only took about 2 weeks of off and on knitting), and my Halloween socks from WoolGirl are done.
I have since cast on 2 more pair for me. The Nov Mystery from Mona at SKA(Ravelry) were re-cast on last night with metal DPN's, I tried with the bamboo #0 and #1 and was too nervous with every bend and uhhggg, thankfully nothing snapped, so #1 nickle and much happier. Also cast on the Rivendal from Chameleon ColorWorks(August), love the evolution yarn, hopefully they will be back on track for next year.
Once my order from Stix-n-Stitches arrives I will be casting on for Holiday Projects. I promise though no one is getting socks from me, maybe.... Really trying not to over commit myself with holiday knitting this year... see how it goes....
My Sock it to Me Twice Questionnaire!! for inquiring minds who really want to know......
1. How long have you been knitting? Do you consider yourself beginner, intermediate, advanced? I have been knitting for about 5 years now off and on, steadily for the past 8 months. I figure I am comfortable intermediate.
2. How long have you been knitting socks? 8 months
3. What are your favorite fibers to work with? right now merino/bamboo blend from Mama Llama has been the best so far, with a close second to a merino/tencel blend I picked up from Cherry Blossom Fibers
4. What is your favorite color? Red
5. What are your current WIPs (works in progress)? actually working 3 socks(2 for me, 1 for DH). Will have a some holiday projects going on the needles after thanksgiving.
6. Name your favorite yarns, (brand, fibers, colors, etc.). see #3 and lets see.... actually Ultra alpaca from Berraco(going to be a Cozy shawl someday) for none sock, Reynolds Rapture I just picked up and really like(that will be a scarf or shawl eventually) Just received some BFL, which I am still petting. Colors, I like jewel tones or natural and willing to try most anything fiber or color wise.
7. What are some yarns/fibers that you stay away from. Lion Brand wool ease(feels nice to touch but working it feels like fiberglass) qualifier, I will use acrylics though Simply soft, Baby stuff etc...
8. What is your family situation? (Married, kids, pets?) Married, 3 kids(2 1/2 year old at home) 6 cats and 2 dogs(Bull mastiff and Shepard/Chow)
9. Name some of your hobbies. obvious first, knitting and crocheting, PC gaming(BF2, DOD, Guild Wars, Hellgate London), reading.
10. Name some of your favorite movies? The Fifth Element, Breakfast Club, Hackers
11. Do you like to read? Yeap, Sci/Fi, Fantasy, limited Romance and Mysteries. Amazon
12. Do you collect anything? Chop sticks(yes the kind you eat with), shot glasses when I go to new places, fuzzy pens.
13. Do you own an iPod or mp3 player? both use the iPod more
14. What are your favorite type of knitting needles? Rosewood and Harmony primary and the KP nickle plated, then birch and bamboo.
15. What knitting notion could you not live without? crochet hook
16. Who are some of your favorite designers? Cookie A, Anne Hanson(Heavens, have you seen her new shawl with thraven!!!)
17. Do you subscribe to any magazines? (Knitting or otherwise.) Parents, Parenting and PC Gamer
18. When is your birthday? Nov 7
19. Do you have a "wishlist", (on Ravelry, Froogle, or Amazon)? Amazon see #11, Ravelry anything in my favs
20. Do you have a Ravelry ID? JenC
21. If you had a sheep, what would you name it? hmmm that is a toughie. I like to name critters/pets based on personality and looks, so have to meet him/her first.
Now for the questions my pal asked me via email bright and early this morning:
The first scarf I will probably cast on for myself will be the Tigers eye or the Dragon scale, just acquired some lovely BFL that seems a waste for socks(though they would be wonderful). I do have plans to cast on for the Butterfly Shawl and or the Kimono Shawl before the end of the year. It will all depend on my mood though.
For socks, average cuff is 6" for me, though I do have a couple of Cookie A's knee high patterns in my pattern file that I like. Haven't done any ankles yet for myself. Patterns/colors, I pretty easy going and love anything that is hand made for me. Colors that I avoid for myself though tend to be the candied colors. I do not mind being pushed out of my color/fiber zone. That's why I joined sock/fiber clubs :-)
This will close out today's episode. Will try to update this weekend on the triptophene(sp?) coma wears off....
Monday, November 5, 2007
Friday, October 26, 2007
Once tagged, you must link to the person who tagged you. Then post the rules before your list, and list 8 random things about yourself. At the end of the post, you must tag and link to 8 other people, visit their sites, and leave a comment letting them know they’ve been tagged.
8 things and 8 people?
Oh boy, uhhh, this is my very first ever tag, so should be interesting to say the least....
1) I dont like to fold laundry, that is why there is still 2 baskets clean clothes sitting by the closet door.
2) I love to read, fiction, non fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, romance, mysteries, knitting books(woohoo) which is why there are 6 books on the nightstand waiting and 8 more on the desk in queue and the new book by Clara, The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using and Enjoying yarn. I also don't like to get rid of books I like, because as soon as Ido, I want to read it again, hence my custom bookshelves that DH built for me, smooches.
3) I have knit 11 pairs of socks since April, 3 have actually been for me. That is why I have declared the Winter of Me Knitting, where I will knit more for me(and catch up on all the sock club yarn I've been
4) I play BF2, DOD and GW and I am in a clan and a guild, when time allows respectively. I like to shoot/slash things, *EG*...
5) I will only bake from scratch or not at all, recent scone phase thanks to Knit 1 Tea 2 swap this summer, and halloween cupcakes will be going to school next week.
6) I have spent the most significant portions of my life in Oklahoma, California and New Jersey, decipher that accent, hmmmm....
7) I loose my MAC/ATM card at least once a year, minimum, and always find it again with-in a week after the new one shows up.
8) Love chocolate covered strawberries.
wheeewww, made it to 8, now lets play TAG, Bethany, Valerie, Silfert, Hattie, Hettie, Juliet thats about all I can do for that.... GLHF
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Then onto Sunday and we went pumpkin picking at a local farm, Giameresse in East Brunswick. Took a hayride, picked some pumpkins and had fun raking the leaves that afternoon.
Monday, October 22, 2007
CONGRATS TO ALL THOSE WHO PARTICIPATED TO THE FULLEST, TO OUR SUPERB PREFECT ADELE FOR ALL HER ENCOURGMENT AND TO OUR VIRTUAL CHEERLEADER VALERIE!!! YOU ALL ARE THE GREATEST!!!!
Thursday, October 18, 2007
Sock Wars officially kicked off on Friday Oct 12 aprox 5-6pm EST, dl'd my dossier at aprox 7pm, after a really long day of travel, shopping and classes. I cast on and was off....
This is sock #1 Saturday at lunch....
Then the finished product, photo'd on the hood of the car in the PO parking lot Wed Oct 17 at 4pm before being sent express mail to the wilds of W Virginia. The postal employee, probably thought I was nuts, I was babbling I am quite positive.... really jazzed and energized about getting these babies out the door....
Pattern: Scars by Julie Gardner
Yarn: Spunky Ecletic Super DK
Colorway: BBQ A
I am expecting my package of death any day now as I was listed as dying Tuesday night. We shall see what the mail brings....
First it was a little wet and rainy on the day of delivery and sat on the porch for couple of hours.
Then on opening and a few cups of peanuts later.... cool everything was in ziplock bags, psychic moment!!! Linda must have known it was going to rain!! or else as she commented afraid the chocolate would melt all over the place, either way, dry goodies!!
The socks are in Knitpicks Memories and as soft and comfortable as could be. I lost the blanket and pillow to Joey, there are residing in his nest and he will not share. Thank you again Linda for such a wonderful gift. The book is at his bedside bookshelf as well.
The Barrell of Monkeys is residing in my office currently.
The candy is all gone. The needle organizer full of my DPN's and stitch markers are zippered away with a measuring tape and stuffed in my knitting bag.
The file of patterns is sitting on my desk and as I have been to busy to really have an effective Socktoberfest this year, I will be having the Winter of Socks, where I will do my best to make a dent on the 50+ skeins of sock yarn I have acquired. ps more notes after the pics....
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
2. Whose sign was on Xenophilius Lovegood's chest? d. Grindewald
3. Was October 30, 1980 the night that Lilly and James Potter died? b. No
4. What's another name for the Elder Wand?a. Deathstick
5. Whose Potterwatch code name was 'Rodent'? d. Fred
6. What was so special about the peacocks at the Malfoy Manor? d. They were all white
7. Who does Harry say was "probably the bravest man I knew?"a. Snape
8. What thing was Lockhart giving Hagrid advice about getting out of a well? b. Kelpies
9. What was the occupation of Colin Creevey's father? d. Milkman
10. Which Professor of Hogwarts was a dueling champion when he was young a.Flintwick
Picture Scavenger HuntYou can either post these pictures on your blog or provide a link to where they can be found. Bertie Botts Beans Jelly Slugs Chocolate Frogs Blood Pops
Jenean's first HSKS kit(Bonus Point: Who made the kit?) Ansley
Thursday, October 11, 2007
I received another wonderful generous package today from Linda and took pictures. Uhhh one small problem. I left the camera cord at work, darn it... I did take pics and will post as soon as i can get the cord. Hopefully tomorrow if I have time before I leave for Baltimore. Stitches East YIPPEEE!!!! If not will all be posted first thing Monday morning. Joey is sleeping with his new monkey blanket(made by Linda) and his monkey book, wouldnt let go, at least he wasnt jumping on the bed all night, lol.
The Reeses Peanut Putter cups with Banana cream(al a Elvis) are gone(side note I read Linda's blog post about these and laughed, wondering why I can't get the neat short run flavors up here) One bannana taffy is gone and the socks fit like a dream. Lot of other candy in the bag too...lemonheads, cherry heads, orange heads, Gummy Krabby patties(confiscated by the hubbie) Boston peanuts.. all great to munch on. Ahh yes and Laffy taffy in banana and Mango.
The pillow, I dont know if Joey will get it or I will, we may share.(Pillow case also made by Linda adn covered with pics of sock monkeys)
And the patterns, Good Lord there are a lot of sock patterns out there and I have a whole expanding file with some of them now. I haven't seen the Monkey sock Monkey pattern one in 20 years(my Grandmother made them for the kids once). It will be fun sorting through them to see which one to do first. The yarns are so soft and squishy. I love the Bannana Chocolate, the yarn too... and the opal I love how it works up glad to have another colorway in such warm colors. Cute magnet monkey too wrapped onto the yarn. And a barrell full of monkeys game, haven't played that in almost 30 years, my grandmother had it in the toy basket for all the grands to play with. Ahhh and last but definetely not least by any shot 4 handmade stitch markers with 2 monkeys and 2 with knitting themes in lovely shades of yellow and a set of 1.5 Brittany birch, I love the birch needles!!!
Thank you so much for a wonderful swap Linda!!!!
Sunday, October 7, 2007
So much stuff. Will start off with the beautiful sewn project bag with the irridescent butterflies and satin yellow lining, intererior pocket holding a little box of stitch markers, and containing some jelly Belly's in one of my favorite flavors, Dr Pepper, yummm!!! and a skein of Katia hippy in black. Someone had lots of fun looking for patterns, not 1 but 5 FIVE, patterns for socks, using three differant techniques, toe up, cuff down and crochet!! A wonderfully soft skein of Hufflepuff yarn from Spunky Ecletic one of my favorite indie dyers 2 circular bamboo needles(I can now try the 2 circ method, been wanting to for a while) and a set of bamboo dpns for back up(I was needing another set of #3's thanks!). A pair of needle caps, a great post card from California, and as a bonus 3 sets of 14" Bates aluminan in 3 differant sizes, perfect for blankets and sweaters!!! Almost forgot, a jar of strawberry preserves and a box Tazo orange tea!! See the pics below-
Friday, October 5, 2007
And I also became a proud member of the Wooly Wool Girl Frequent Shopper club. wonderful gift items, New tote bag, Knitting journal, tape measure and some other wonderful little goodies!!! sorry no pics, between Joey and the cats, it was put away rather quickly, barely saved my washclothes. from marauding wild things...
Well off to bed for me, been a long week and will be and even longer weekend.... 6 DAYS UNTIL STITCHES, YIPEEE... goodnight folks...